This is not your average “white rice and green peas” … oh no! This Jamaican classic is white rice boiled with red kidney beans, herbs and coconut goodness. The tastes and smells of the Caribbean in a bowl … with rice.
Traditionally enjoyed as a side with Jerk chicken, curry goat or oxtail stew. As we’re WtoW, we would also recommend trying it with a few West African culinary gems such as West-African chicken stew. Whatever your choice, let us know how your cooking turns out.
55 – 60 minutes
Approx. 4 to 6
- 1 tin of red kidney beans
- 1 tin coconut milk or cream
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 1/2 large brown onion
- 2 stalks of spring onion finely chopped
- 1 whole scotch bonnet pepper
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 1/4 tsp of black pepper
- 1 tsp of all spice
- 2 cups of long grain rice
- 1 and 1/2 to 2 tsp of salt, to taste
45 – 50 minutes
- Wash rice thoroughly and put to one side
- Place coconut milk/cream and kidney beans in a pot and bring mixture to boil.
- Turn heat down to avoid burning but ensure mixture is still bubbling.
- Add 2 cloves of minced garlic, 1/2 large onion, 2 stalks of spring onion – finely chopped, 1tsp dried thyme, 1/4 tsp black pepper, 1 tsp of all spice, 1 and 1/2 to 2 tsp salt to taste. Stir for approx. 1 min
- Add washed rice and scotch bonnet pepper to above mix (ensure the scotch bonnet pepper does not burst).
- Reduce heat to low-med. Place foil across the top of the pot. Place lid on top of the foil, covering the pot.
- After 10-15mins, turn rice from bottom to top to reduce burning at bottom. Be careful not to break the bonnet pepper
- Continue cooking rice until liquid has evaporated and rice is cooked (this will take approx. 25-35 minutes). Remove the bonnet pepper
- Once rice is cooked, it may still be quite moist. Remove pot from hot surface. Leave rice in pot covered with foil and lid. Rice will become less moist after a few hours of standing.
Although plantains look like bananas, they’re not! They’re PLANTAINS! Treated more like a vegetable than a fruit,...
Not for the faint-hearted – this Caribbean classic comes with an unapologetic kick! Succulent goat on the bone,...